Feasibility studies (November 10 2017)
We are very pleased to announce successful proposals from the first round of feasibility studies funded by Healtex. We have received five proposals on a range of relevant topics. The panel (with representatives from academia, NHS and industry) decided to support two excellent studies
- A citizens’ jury study to understand whether, and under what conditions, the public would accept medical free text being used for research (E. Ford, M. Oswald, L. Hassan, J. Cassell, J. Stockdale)
- Feasibility of text-mining to support nudging of real-time side effect reporting to drug regulators within the online health social network ‘HealthUnlocked’ (W. Dixon, G. Nenadic, A. Bulcock, M. Evans, A. Anand)
The second call for feasibility studies will be announced early in 2018, with a deadline for applications in May 2018.
Workshop: “Extracting evidence from clinical free text: opportunities and challenges” (April 25 2017)
As part of the Informatics for Health 2017 conference, we have organise quite a successful workshop with around 70 attendees to discuss the opportunities and challenges in clinical free text analytics. The workshop started with four short presentations that introduced examples of previous/current projects, followed by discussions in smaller groups. The groups then feedback on key opportunities and challenges in clinical text analytics, focusing on technical, ethical and legal barriers and unmet needs, aligning those with other efforts in healthcare sciences. The workshop also discussed the state of clinical text analytics across the world.
- Goran Nenadic; University of Manchester, Health e-Research Centre, Farr Institute
- Robert Stewart; King’s College London
- Johannes Starlinger; Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Sumithra Velupillai; KTH, Stockholm and King’s College, London
Tutorial on “Healthcare Text Analytics – Analysing Free-Text Health Data” (April 22 2017)
A group of 20 clinicians, NLP researchers and epidemiologists attended the tutorial, organised as a pre-conference event for the Informatics for Health 2017 conference in Manchester. It explained the main steps in text mining and discussed challenges and opportunities for healthcare text analytics.
- Part 1 – Introduction and examples of clinical text analytics projects
- Part 2 – Processing patient-generated data and state-of-the-art
Contact: G. Nenadic or G. Demetriou (University of Manchester)
Veterinary text Mining workshop (25TH NOVEMBER 2016)
Launch of Healtex (14th November 2016)
The UK healthcare text analytics network (Healtex) was launched on November 14th by an event that was held in the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology. The event was attended by over 60 participants from a number of universities, NHS trusts, industry, regulators and funders.
The press release is available here.
Unmet needs and challenges in clinical text analytics
(15TH NOVEMBER 2016)
The UK healthcare text analytics network (Healtex) organised a workshop on unmet needs challenges and unmet needs in clinical text analytics. The event was organised in Farr@HeRC and was attended by over 40 participants from a number of universities, NHS trusts, industry, regulators and funders.